On 05/01/2012 12:45 AM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
On May 1, 2:19 am, Carl Meyer<c...@oddbird.net>  wrote:
Good point. I think which of those happens now depends on whether a
motivated someone steps up to figure out how to convert the mirror to
use hg-git and source from Git, and then maintain it as needed. I
originally did the current mirror, and it really hasn't needed any
maintenance over the past two years, but I no longer use Mercurial or
the Mercurial Django mirror, so that "motivated someone" is not likely
to be me this time around.

I don't mind doing it, if it's sufficiently low-maintenance,

I can't speak for how it will be with hg-git (there is a bit more potential complexity since the source repo is not simple and linear like Subversion), but hgsubversion has required exactly zero maintenance since I first set it up.

and I do
use Mercurial as well as Git. Did you implement it using a local repo
and a cron job, or was there something else you used which was more
purpose-built?

It's just a cron job and a local repo using hgsubversion; every five minutes it pulls the latest from Subversion and pushes it to Bitbucket. The repo and cron job are hosted on the djangoproject.com server. If you are able to get the conversion from git working and repeatable on a local repo, I think Jacob can probably get you hooked up to host it on djangoproject.com (which also has an ssh key with permission to push to bitbucket.org/django/django).

The tricky bit will be making the switch to sourcing from git in a way that doesn't change all the historical commit hashes, making the new mirror repo merge-incompatible with the current mirror (and all clones of it). It's possible there will be no way to do that, in which case I guess a new incompatible mirror is still better than no mirror at all.

Carl