On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Bruno Renié <bubu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Russell Keith-Magee
> <russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Aaron C. de Bruyn <aa...@heyaaron.com>
>> wrote:

> That's because the rewritten code has never been deployed.
>
>>> Look at the whois record for djangoproject.com verses
>>> djangopeople.net.  I don't think djangopeople.net is officially part
>>> of Django.
>>
>> I can confirm for you -- djangopeople.net has never been an "official"
>> part of the Django project. It was always an effort run outside of the
>> official  (although Simon, the original developer, is a Django core
>> developer).
>>
>> That said, I'm still interested in making djangopeople.net an official
>> resource of the Django project. It was a very useful resource in it's
>> time, which I for one miss. If anyone is interested (including Bruno,
>> if he's still interested) in managing the project for the long term,
>> let me know.
>
> I am still interested, the issue right now is to get admin access to
> the djangopeople.net DNS records and an up-to-date dump of the data.
> Regarding that, Simon Willison is pretty hard to reach and the best
> way to contact him is via Andew Godwin who can talk to him IRL. But as
> you may know, they're both busy people so that's why we're in the
> current situation.

I'll shake the tree again and see what I can do.

Another option would be to start from scratch; if we're making the
official, we could host you at people.djangoproject.com, start with a
clean database, and use the blog/mailing list/etc to get the word out
and repopulate the database. It's less than ideal, but it would get
over the hurdle. After all, we're perfectionists with deadlines :-)

> There is also the issue of hosting, at the time Andrew was happy to
> host the rebirth of djangopeople.net on ep.io but since it's closing
> down we'd have to find another option.

As Jacob noted, the DSF can help out here. If you can come up with an
estimate of what you need, I can put it to the board and get you those
resources.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)