Hi,

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Shai Berger <s...@platonix.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the process of upgrading to Django 1.4, I've run into a little problem: one
> of our files uses django.contrib.auth.models.get_hexdigest, which is no longer
> present.
>
> I searched, and could find no mention of this in release notes, tickets, or
> the
> developers group.
>
> Was this, for some reason, not considered a public API?

It isn't documented so I believe it has never been part of the public API.

> Of course, I can copy the function from a 1.3 installation and use that, but I
> suspect that if it was removed, there was a good reason -- and I'd like to
> know what it was, before deciding to ignore it...

Django 1.4 added pluggable password hashers and this was all
abstracted in django.contrib.auth.hashers. If you need to deal with
passwords use make_password and check_password from this module:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/auth/#manually-managing-a-user-s-password

Regards,
Bruno