You can define a custom location for your files like the docs tell you:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/files/#the-built-in-filesystem-storage-class

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/custom-file-storage/
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/file-uploads/

If you believe you've encountered a bug, please create a ticket on TRAC:
http://code.djangoproject.com/newticket

More customization can be achieved by specifying a custom file upload
handler:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/file-uploads/#upload-handlers

Cheers,
AT