On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Adam "Cezar" Jenkins
<emperorce...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Russell Keith-Magee
> <russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
>>

>> So - if you think there's a need for a showcase site -- go ahead and build
>> it!
>>

> http://www.djangosites.org/ has been around quite a while IIRC? I remember
> it being around four or five years ago. Is it still active?

Well, the site has been around for a while, and  is still up. It's
even linked from the current homepage (indirectly -- you have to go
via the wiki). I can't comment on how actively it's being maintained.

However, while it's a reasonable index, but I don't think it's a very
good showcase -- at least, not in it's current form.

The first page you see on the site lists a bunch of sites I've never
heard of. The 5 "Highest rated" sites are apparently: paste
DjangoSites, SuggestionBox, Chesspark, and Music Discipline.

These may all be fine sites, but if I were trying to showcase
commercial usage of Django, I'd start with sites that people have
actually heard of -- sites like Mozilla, Disqus, Pinterest and
Instagram. As far as I can make out, none of these 4 are even in the
djangosites index.

So - Djangosites might be the starting point for a showcase site; but
it needs a whole lot of attention before it's "front page" material,
IMHO. In particular, it needs some editorial control -- someone who is
actively selecting content that showcases the best of Django, rather
than relying on the community to hopefully contribute and promote good
sites.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)