On Jun 4, 5:58 pm, Jeremy Dunck <jdu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Anssi Kääriäinen
> > Could we force the caller to define the wanted signal inheritance mode
> > when .connect() is called? The inherit mode must be one of True,False
> > or None. Default of None means no inheritance (as now) but it will be
> > deprecated.
>
> I took a swing at a similar implementation
> here:https://github.com/votizen/django/tree/fe0f92b0f50bcd47742638ff3b8ff9...
> (Tracking branch:https://github.com/votizen/django/tree/virtual_signals)
>
> I haven't tried to address performance yet, but I've read all
> ofhttps://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/16679and think it's possible to
> keep sane overhead.

There is one two really important signals for performance: pre_init
and post_init. If these are fast (maybe by special casing), then the
rest of the signals wont be that important. IIRC the caching approach
will give you good performance assuming there aren't any signals for
the model which is inited. This isn't true currently. Of course, all
bets are off if there are pre/post init signals for the model. We need
to either make the pre/post init signals fast enough, or make some
special casing for them.

> > Any opinions on the above transition phase  idea? Other ideas? Is the
> > "define signal inheritance on connect" the wanted behavior in 1.7 or
> > should it be something else?
>
> I think this is the right approach - but I'm not sure why you said
> "1.7" here.  You mean 1.5 or done with the deprecation path by 1.7?

I guess there isn't much point for the 1.7 in there. Maybe I was going
to ask about the default behavior in 1.7 forward (inherit or no-
inherit) but just wrote something different. Hard to know now...

 - Anssi