Hello all,

I have a suggestion for improving the tabular inline view of the admin site
(contained in <django
path>/contrib/admin/templates/admin/edit_inline/tabular.html). I recently
overloaded this template for my own purposes, and am wondering if the
Django community would find my changes useful. If so, I suppose I'll polish
the code a bit more and submit a patch.

Currently, the tabular inline view looks like this (below). Please note
that in this picture the fields are marked as read only, but the option to
edit them in-place is provided by Django.

<https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vb6vgkMkYmQ/UDzpoC1JmFI/AAAAAAAAARg/pq-NU-IQDEI/s1600/Original.png>
I modified the template to look like this:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5Sna636H1xo/UDzqOHIyFZI/AAAAAAAAARo/NFzOPnRxl2U/s1600/Modification.png>
My initial thoughts for the improvement are:

   - If the first field in the row is *read only* then:
      - Provide a link to the relevant object.
      - Compact the height of each row by not displaying the object's
      string representation (i.e. the __unicode__ function).
      - No link would be provided if the user does not have permission to
      change the object.
   - Otherwise, if the first field in the row is *editable* then:
      - Provide a link to the relevant object by keeping the object's
      string representation (as displayed in the first picture, above).

Thoughts?

If I get a +1 from some of the core devs on this then I'll start working on
a patch.

-- Dylan