On 29 elo, 22:18, Ian Kelly <ian.g.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's another option that also hasn't been implemented, because it
> would mean dropping support for cx_Oracle versions older than 5.0.1.
> Perhaps the time has come to do that (I note that the oldest binary
> still listed at the cx_Oracle website is 5.1).  This would involve
> removing the _rowhandler function and the numbers_as_strings setting
> and replacing it with an _outputtypehandler that would only be called
> once per column instead of on every single returned value.  I've
> written a POC patch for this and so far, performance seems to be much
> improved, on par with using cx_Oracle without Django.

5.0.1 seems to be released somewhere around 03/2009. [http://
sourceforge.net/projects/cx-oracle/files/]. +1 for requiring 5.0.1.

We could probably detect the cx_oracle version and based on that use
either the _rowhandler approach or the _outputtypehandler approach.
This seems like overkill to me. We do not have backwards compatibility
requirements for old library versions, right?

 - Anssi