When I was working on a similar issue for django-selectable I created an
issue to address this problem with a simple proof of concept patch
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/15760. However I never followed
through with the ticket to try to get something like this added. In the
meantime another ticket was created and fixed which solves a large portion
of the problem https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/18241. With this
change you can catch the click event of the add button. I still feel like
the admin inline javascript is not particularly flexible and having some
clearly documented hooks for this use case would be nice.

For what it's worth my solution in django-selectable was to patch the
formset function to include my callback
https://bitbucket.org/mlavin/django-selectable/src/efede3aa83ec6d372626eaac6f54c188287ec3d2/selectable/static/selectable/js/jquery.dj.selectable.js?at=default#cl-289
 Not
the prettiest solution but it works.