Hello Everyone,

  I have been using class-based views for sometime now, and I am running
into an issue while subclassing CreateView, and think that this type of
thing could be placed into Django somehow to make it easier to implement.

  Most multi-user websites connect models to a user by some means, so the
posts they make or articles they add list them as the owner/poster of it.
Assigning the object to the user when using class-based views at the moment
is annoying to say the least:

    def form_valid(self, form):
        self.object = form.save(commit=False)
        self.object.user = self.request.user
        self.object.save()
        return super(ModelFormMixin, self).form_valid(form)

  This is what I currently do, and it looks messy and unorganized.  I would
like a way to easily assign additional data to the self.object without
going through all this.  You may notice that I am calling super() on
ModelFormMixin, when this is a CreateView, well the super() of CreateView
will attempt to re-create the self.object from a form.save(), and since I
already created the object here, with no easy way to just pass
self.object...  Anyways, you get the idea.

  Perhaps a new overridable method that allows us to do something with an
uncommitted object before it is saved.  Here is a new form_valid I propose:

class ModelFormMixin(...):
    def not_sure_of_naming(self):
        pass
    def form_valid(self, form):
        self.object = form.save(commit=False)
        self.not_sure_of_naming()
        self.object.save()
        return super(ModelFormMixin, self).form_valid(form)

  This will allow us developers using class-based views to easily perform
tasks on a self.object before it is finally saved back into the database.
The above implementation is just an example of what I would love to see in
a future version of class-based views.

Best Regards,
  Kevin Veroneau
  Python Diary