On Sat, Nov 10, 2012, Tim Graham <timogra...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Any specific feedback on this paragraph, or the tutorial as whole, would be
>appreciated:

My four thoughts:

Firstly: I like to see things like:

    ./runtests.py --settings=test_sqlite

include a comment when appropriate; in this case to say why we are using
--settings=test_sqlite

Secondly: "For advanced users who wish to use virtualenv" - is this really
implying that only advanced users would use virtualenv?

I think that the most helpful thing to say to people who are not using
virtualenv already is that they need spend 15 minutes learning to use it before
they do anything else, because it's one of the most valuable and easy to learn
tools they will ever encounter.

Thirdly: if everyone is using virtualenv, would that eliminate the difficulties
trying to explain PYTHONPATH?

Fourthly: although this and the Working with Git and GitHub tutorial explain
the technical part of the process well, they both somewhat assume that you're
able to come up with complete if not perfect patch.

In reality I think a lot of back-and-forth refinement goes on before that point
is reached - what would be handy is advice on how to proceed when your patch is
incomplete and you need some feedback before going further.

But this looks great, I wish I had read it myself before trying to submit
anything.

Daniele