+1 for logging. It took me way too long to figure out how to get everything
working properly using a different (builtin) class. I agree with #19395
that an example (or two) would be great.

Here's what I'm currently using which makes use of a rotating file handler
and a custom date formatter (If it offers any inspiration or
clarification): https://gist.github.com/4489135