Yeah, it's amazing that we have GeoDjango included as I'm using it right now.

However I can fall back to geopy and still getaway with rough acceptable
estimates with limited scope and capability which I'm fine with. (In my use
case)

If I had to choose between GeoDjango and South as a core package, I'd go with
South for sure.

GeoDjango might be for the 10% while South can  be for the 90%.

Admin is a must for the beginners. And if we want to attract more people to use
Django, then admin is the tool right out of the box.

 I wish there was a way to have the core developers in charge of the core
packages, the vision and the direction.

They would also be in charge of blessing the contrib packages that are not a
MUST. (contrib.auth is a must)

Then we could have a secondary team that takes care of the packages that fall
In the same category as GeoDjango.

It would be a nice divide and conquer strategy and both teams can help
maintaining the "sync" state.

pip install Django
pip install Django-contrib

Just a wild thought. :)