On Tue, 2013-02-19 at 14:50 -0600, James Bennett wrote:
> We've issued several security releases today. Details are in the blog
post:

> https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2013/feb/19/security/
>
> We recommend everyone carefully read this one, as it has an
> end-user-visible change requiring action beyond simply upgrading your
> Django package.

I don't recall looking at the ALLOWED_HOSTS setting before. Now that I
do, it seems rather problematic. In particular, that host verification
is apparently turned off while DEBUG is True or while testing.

Surely this makes it impossible to test, and makes it likely that
misconfigurations will not be picked up until deployed to a production
environment.

Given that most setups require some customisation of settings for
dev/staging/production/whatever environments anyway, why not leave the
verification on at all times and allow us to ensure we get the right
hosts in the right environments?

What am I missing?

Cheers,

Nick
--
Nick Phillips / +64 3 479 4195 / nick.phill...@otago.ac.nz
# these statements are my own, not those of the University of Otago