On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:31:59 PM UTC-5, Florian Apolloner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While I agree that moving database adapters out of core has some merit, I
> don't think that having sqlite as a reference implementation is a good
> idea: For one some features are somewhat hacky in sqlite (and people tend
> to copy from reference implementations, so it should be as clean as
> possible)

I think I made a mistake in using the word "reference". "Included" would be
a more accurate definition of its intended status. Ideally, no database
backends would be in the core, but I realize that is not entirely practical
because of the need to run tests. Sqlite also provides the lowest barrier
for new users to get through the tutorial.

>From my experience of maintaining django-mssql, I usually have to reference
all of the backends depending on the issue I'm working on. I start by
looking at whichever database provides the closest behavioral match and
then compare it to the others. Every database is different, so it's not
like copy & paste is going to happen. Database backends are also not
something a large number of people will run out and create. I imagine that
even with Postgres, mysql, and oracle in separate projects they will still
be maintained by a collection of developers that will most likely include
core devs.

> and it's lack of data validation makes it imo a nogo.

The lack of data validation is definitely a nogo for production sites, but
imo sqlite in production is also a nogo.

The reference implementation should imo also have strong support for GIS,
> which is somewhat okay on sqlite but quite hard to install. So if we were
> to do that I'd either vote for postgres or supporting postgres and sqlite
> inside of core (the later solely for fast tests).

. I've never tried to install GIS for sqlite, but is the difficulty due to
lack of documentation or just sheer number of steps?

Regards,
Michael