On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:01:01 PM UTC-5, Florian Apolloner wrote:

> Hi Shai,
>
> On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:32:29 PM UTC+1, Shai Berger wrote:
>>
>> In recent years, I have been the main contributor to South's MSSQL and
>> Oracle
>> backends. I am biased towards having MSSQL treated as an equal to the
>> database
>> systems supported in core, but also towards support of backend-specific
>> low-
>> level code in user apps. Also, I am a Linux user -- I use django-pyodbc
>> for my
>> work on South, not django-mssql.
>>

> I am obviously biased against postgres as my previous post indicated, but
> regardless of that I think that MSSQL should stay outside of core. No
> core-developer I know actually uses Windows as base OS and to my knowledge
> no one uses MSSQL. This would put the expected support for South below what
> we have for Oracle currently.

I agree that MSSQL should stay out of the core. I believe that adding any
more database in to the core would be a large step in the wrong direction.

> And where the dependency is weaker, being in core was not a
>> guarantee for fixes -- Django carried significant Oracle problems for
>> quite
>> long, and they were just not deemed crucial.
>>

> Now that we test on Oracle once again I am committed to have a full
> passing testsuite with 1.6 (whatever that means, since I don't use Oracle
> on a daily base I can't say what a running testsuite actually means for a
> project).

Is it not possible to maintain the same standard with it as a separate
project? Automated tests could still easily be accomplished and the only
real difference about the backend working with Django is that the releases
of the projects would not be a direct blocker for each other. 3rd party
backends are only able to provide eventual support. Sometimes the new
behaviors are in place ahead of the Django release, sometimes it lands
shortly after. A huge benefit is that if there is a bug/change in the
postgres backend, it doesn't require another Django release.

> I am worried that the result of such change will not be that MSSQL is
>> treated
>> as well as Postgres is today, but that Oracle is treated as bad as MSSQL
>> is
>> today.
>>

> That might as well be true, if Oracle is outside of core I personally
> wouldn't put much effort in fixing stuff there (this obviously might change
> depending on whether I use Oracle at work or not).

Having a backend outside of core might encourage others to step up and
maintain it, especially if they depend on it. I'm sure many currently have
the mentality of "the cores will take care of it, so I don't have to".

It sounds as if Oracle is already not really a supported database and will
only have a passing test suite. As you stated, "whatever that means, since
I don't use Oracle on a daily base I can't say what a running testsuite
actually means for a project".

Regards,
Michael