Hi

I'm currently working on a project where I don't use db.* and I met a
problem during testing. As django.test.testcases.TestCase [1] inherits from
TransactionTestCase, it complains about "ImproperlyConfigured:
settings.DATABASES". A solution is to fall back to SimpleTestCase (which
TransactionTestCase inherits from), but this class doesn't contain useful
test helpers, which aren't in any way related to db handling:

* assertRedirects
* assert(Not)Contains
* assertFormError
* assertTemplate(Not)Used
* _urlconf_setup(teardown).

Is there a reason why these functions were bound to a transaction handling
test class instead of SimpleTestCase?

My proposal is to move them out either to SimpleTestCase, or a separate
class other tests (including TransactionTestCase) can inherit from. I have
experimentally written a SimpleTestCase based class for my needs, but I
haven't yet tested it against the Django suite.

What do you think? If you agree and/or have some ideas, I will submit an
issue and work on a patch proposal.

[1] https://github.com/django/django/blob/master/django/test/testcases.py

Cheerz,
Jakub Zalewski