Sorry, but -1 from me.

Given the core premise that the job of a web application framework is to
find the common features that many websites need to implement and make them
easy to achieve, commenting definitely fits into this category.

I run two sites that use Django comments heavily. Django comments were easy
to implement, and  work very well (though a layer of spam protection would
be nice), and I have no desire to migrate years of historical comments to a
3rd party system, or to write my own system (given the choice, I would
write my own).

Yes, I could handle having comments moved out of core as long as they were
maintained somewhere "official," but I don't quite see the necessity.
Commenting is a feature that most sites need, so commenting seems like
something that Django should provide. That's part of what "using a kick-ass
framework" means to me.

My .02,
./s