On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:08 AM, Alex Ogier <alex.og...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I find the value of separate settings modules is not splitting them by
> topic, but overriding them in specific contexts, like staging, production
> and development. Your implementation (and, I think, any solution that
> compiles multiple settings modules independently) don't have a way to
> specify orderings in a non-magical way. That's why I prefer explicitly
> importing some common settings into one module and overriding them
> piecemeal. The Zen of Python says "Explicit is better than implicit" and I
> think that is the case here. Packages provide settings and reasonable
> defaults. If you want to modularize them, you are free to do so yourself. I
> think composing settings internally is just added complexity for little
> benefit.

I agree with Alex.

Splitting settings files in the way you've described in your patch doesn't
strike me as something that solves a problem that actually exists in
practice. Settings files aren't *that* long, and to the extent that splits
are needed, they're based on roles, not content -- you need "production"
settings, not "template" settings.

Even if you did want to break out settings into multiple files, a master
file with "from template_settings import *" strikes me as a lot better
approach than a settings gathering process -- and that requires no extra
code in Django.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)