On 03/27/2013 10:53 AM, Stefano Crosta wrote:
Thanks Aymeric,
that's true, and I should have put that link too.
sadly "akaariai" who's the only one who seemed to understand a bit about it (and is a core dev) did not seem interested in bringing this any forward, so I thought I'd try to raise some interest again!
The problem is that server side cursors will need dedicated API, and there will be database specific problems when using server side cursors. On SQLite changes done to rows are visible in the results, on other databases not. On PostgreSQL you will need to use WITH HOLD cursors if you want to use server side cursors outside transactions (that is, in autocommit mode normal server side cursors do not work). When using WITH HOLD cursors you must close the cursor explicitly or you will have cursor leak... And on MySQL WITH HOLD cursors aren't available at all, so you must be in transaction to use server side cursors.

Oracle seems to be the only core DB that will work without problems. In fact, using .iterator() on Oracle already works without memory problems.

Maybe the dedicated API could be adding two new keywords to .iterator(): server_side_cursor, and with_hold. with_hold=True implies server_side_cursor=True. If you use with_hold=True you are responsible for closing the iterator, too. The behaviour of server_side_cursor and with_hold is database specific - it will be impossible to abstract the differences away.

 - Anssi