On 2013-05-11 18:36, Anssi Kääriäinen wrote:
> On 12 touko, 02:55, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com>
> > What is on the table is essentially adding a refresh() call on an
> > object instance that is an API analog of
> > ".get(id=self.id)"

I guess my minor quibble is about the name itself and possible
clashes with existing fields/methods:

  class MyModelA(Model):
    # ...
    refresh = BooleanField(...)
    # ...
  class MyModelB(Model):
    # ...
    def refresh(...): do_something_refreshing()
    # ...

  a = MyModelA.objects.get(pk=some_id)
  b = MyModelB.objects.get(pk=other_id)
  # ...
  if a.refresh: # legacy code expects a BooleanField
    # whoops, what happens here under this proposal?
  if b.refresh(): # legacy code expects local logic, not Django logic
    # or what gets called here?

I wouldn't want to see any breakage when upgrading between versions.
I don't have a good proposal, other than perhaps _refresh() or
__refresh__(), or cramming it into Meta (I don't know if that would
even work).

-tkc