Hi Django developers!

This is my first time here posting, so if I'm wrong please forgive me :) I
wanna learn as much as possible about django development process from you
guys!
Thank you all for inspiring time on DjangoCon.eu sprints !

I'm writing because I'm concerned about OpenLayers that are used in
django.contrib.gis.admin. For now JS of OpenLayers is shipped with external
url from openlayers hosting.

There are some drawback of this situation and it's causing bugs in specific
circumstances. For example if you are using Chrome browser and your website
is using https all non https javascript are blocked by default. So widget
in django admin isn't rendering and it's broken (I think that should be
considered as a bug and possibility of security problems if someone switch
openlayer.js on external hosting).

I think the best approach to that problem is that we should ship
OpenLayer.js in Django statics. OpenLayers documentation is encouraging to
ship in applications own builds of this library. To read more:
http://docs.openlayers.org/library/deploying.html

I have question is this approach good for Django (to actually compile own
build of OpenLayer and ship it in statics) and is this change can be
possible place of breaking something with backward compatibility.

Things in my mind to consider:
1) With every next Django release I think there should be building of most
actual OL.
2) Shipping OL actually should be optional and documented in docs.

If there isn't any problem with that approach I'm ready to implement this.

Cheers,
Kamil Gałuszka