I have generally not kept my migrations so they always work from scratch
for similar reasons Luke said - Data migrations are often dependent on the
data in the site - this is particularly relevant to content-driven (CMSy)
sites where I may need to move a load of page about as a data migration at
some point in the history, but this data will not exist for the tests.
These "throwaway" data migrations are IMO pretty common. As a consequence
(and given the speed requirements) I've generally never run a site without
SOUTH_TESTS_MIGRATE set.

Also, when using an older library which has a long migration history
included, when we start a new site using it we generally use `syncdb --all`
so as not to worry about the history. Will this command still be supported
by the new `migrate` command?

I can see the argument for making sure the migrations work, and they may be
necessary for migrations containing custom SQL the site depends on, but I
would suggest that many developers effectively treat migrations as things
that can be thrown away once they've been run against all the relevant
databases. Perhaps the rebase command needs to consider this - how can we
throw away old migrations (especially data migrations).

(PS: +1 to option 3 in principle)