On Tue, Jun 4, 2013, Yo-Yo Ma <baxterstock...@gmail.com> wrote:

>If you're posting to this list by logging in to https://groups.google.com/
>rather than via email, I'd like to propose that you write your reply above
>the quoted message to which you're replying.

I think that would be a bad idea.

>The way it stands now, about half
>of the messages that I can see (without clicking to the Google Groups
>website) are just:
>
>> So and So said:
>>> This that the other
>>> and the other

That looks as though other people have been doing upside-down quoting too, but
I'm not sure because I'm not sure what the digest does.

>Thoughts?

I propose the opposite:

* quote what needs to be quoted for context
* don't quote anything that doesn't need to be quoted
* replies to particular points go immediately below quoted material

This makes it easier to read and follow a thread, and is a far more comfortable
way to understand who is saying what, and in reply to whom.

Daniele