On 7/4/2013 5:40 AM, Benjamin Wohlwend wrote:
Hi,

I recently hit a problem where I have to provide translations for a reusable app. In German (and most other languages, except English, it seems), there are different second-person pronouns used in different situations, see [1]. As an example, the sentence "Do you want to log in" in its two German translations: "Wollen Sie sich anmelden?" (formal, polite), and "Willst Du dich anmelden?" (casual). Because my reusable app is used in all kinds of projects, ranging from a social network to a banking website. Using "Sie" on the social network is just as out-of-place as "Du" on the banking website.

What I did so far is something like this:

      {% if is_formal %}
        {% trans "Do you want to log in?" context 'formal' %}
      {% else %}
        {% trans "Do you want to log in?" context 'casual' %}
      {% endif %}

Perhaps I'm naive, but would it work to treat these as two different languages? We already deal with Portuguese (Brazil) and Portuguese (Portugal), would it be possible for you to have German (Formal) and German (Informal)? Of course, part of that label would be provided by the user (German) and part by the app (Formal), but that composition and selection of language could be done in one place in the app, rather than everywhere strings appear.

--Ned.

This gets very tiresome if you have more than a few translation strings. It's not DRY, and it's error prone. As it happens, ticket #20383 would provide the perfect solution for this, even if the use case therein is different. I guess Claude was right in his assertion that the white labeling use case might be to limited to warrant the additional complexity. The T-V distinction problem, on the other hand, is present in (AFAIK) all Latin languages, German, and many other languages. Is this enough reason to reopen that ticket?

Regards,
Benjamin

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%E2%80%93V_distinction
[2]: https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/20383
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-developers+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.