On 26 July 2013 14:12, Roger Barnes <ro...@mindsocket.com.au> wrote:

> If you do want to go down the streaming path despite the caching, static
> and other advice, I can see a couple of options:
> 1) Write your own sitemap view that doesn't use the sitemap.xml template
> and instead streams back results using a StreamingHttpResponse and
> generator based get_url methods in sitemap classes. If that works out well,
> it might be an appropriate dropin replacement for the current view,
> although that would remove the availability of a customisable template.

Well, I was figuring that since sitemap is a XML based format, a generator
based rendering should be quite easy to achieve, even rendering a
template-per-record.

> 2) Ticket 13910 has a pull request to enable streaming templates, which
> would be a stepping stone to allowing refactoring of the existing sitemap
> view to stream a response using the template. The same caveat applies about
> whether this would improve memory usage or response-time performance if the
> sitemap urls are pre-calculated.

Ah, yes, I saw mindsocket working on  this at PyConAU sprints, but wasn't
sure how far through he'd got.  The issues I've had with generator
just stop.

However, in the case of generating a stream of XML snippets, it's fairly
reliable.

--
Curtis