Hi,

You can find my work-in-progress at https://github.com/django/django/pull/1454.
It is nowhere near ready yet -- it is still missing some pieces and has
commented-out debug printing, but I'm done for tonight, and I think it is
advanced enough that people may want to take a look and comment.

On Saturday 03 August 2013 19:51:30 Michael Mior wrote:
> In light of BREACH[1] it might be worth looking into having the option of
> adding a one-time pad to the CSRF token as well. Has anyone started
> development on any of the suggestions in this thread yet? If not, it's
> something I'd be interested in exploring.
>
> [1]
> http://breachattack.com/resources/BREACH%20-%20SSL,%20gone%20in%2030%20seconds.pdf

I did not include anything related to BREACH -- at first I thought that adding
the signature (which is very close to random padding) on both sides of the
secret would help, but apparently that is not very valuable; on the contrary,
the timestamp gives very predictable context at the end of the secret token.
So the solution will probably involve using some sort of XORed (or otherwise
added) one-time pad. Thanks to the good work of django.core.signing,
which I am trying to build upon, I think this will be easy to add (as a new
kind of signer).

Your comments are welcome; I hope I'm not completely off-base,

Shai.