On Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:07:11 AM UTC+2, Michael Manfre wrote:

> IPAddressField is meant for IPv4 addresses and GenericIPAddressField is
> for both IPv4 and IPv6. Most backends define different database data types
> for each of those fields. E.g. mysql is char(15) vs char(39). Forcing the
> larger data type on users doesn't make sense.

It does make sense; storage is usually not such a concern and it's time
that people start supporting IPv6; Even if we don't remove it now we should
make the docs very clear about which field to use (basically you always
want the generic variant). Also the normal IPAdressField has a few issues
on postgres if it's nullable, so it's a nogo anyways if you want this to
work over more databases… I don't see any strong reason why we shouldn't
deprecate it.