Bit of a rambling, thinking-out-loud-ish post...

Whilst it's conceivable  some cache backend will have the smarts to
multiplex requests on a single connection, I suspect that's more the
exception than the case.

However, that doesn't mean the cache backend can't be left with the
opportunity to manage per-thread connections.  Obviously, the default would
be one per thread.

The situation is complicated with the "ad-hoc config" option.  Otherwise,
each cache backend could have a factory method, where the cares of thread
locality can be managed.  You'd just tell it the name, and it would take
care of the rest.

Of course, that could be simplified by just always creating a new instance
when more than just a name is provided. [or a "force new" keyword is
passed].

--
Curtis