On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Curtis Maloney
<cur...@acommoncreative.com> wrote:

> On 9 September 2013 19:50, S Berder <sber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Gents,
>> to sum it up, arguments made and details of how I see the
>> implementation of a response/request encode/decode framework:
>>
>> * need a pluggable interface so current content-types are supported
>> (`application/x-www-form-urlencoded`, `multipart/form-data`), new
>> types (`application/json`), custom and future types
>> (`application/vnd.foobar+json` anybody? See
>> http://developer.github.com/v3/media/#api-v3-media-type-and-the-future
>> for example, `application/msgpack`, `application/protobuf`,
>> `application/capnproto`, etc).
>> * decoder/encoder map (content-type, decoder) should be smart to
>> handle patterns like `text/*` or `application/*xml*` and match things
>> like `Accept: application/json, text/plain, * / *`
>> * choice of decoder would be made on the Content-Type header, maybe
>> supporting a raw by default so data is just passed in case of unknown
>> content type.
>> * decoder/encoder should be available through `request` and `response`
>> objects.
>> * decoded data structure (python object) would be stored in `request.data`
>> * first step is to support requests, next step is to handle responses
>> with the same pluggable functionality and coherent API.
>> * A sensible default for response Content-type would be `text/html;
>> charset=UTF-8`. It should be made available through a setting entry
>> anyway
>>

> You should also have access to the decision made by the data parser as to
> which parser was used, instead of having to infer it yourself from the
> content type header.

Indeed, that's the 4th point of my list, maybe it's not clear as it is
but this would be supported.

>> Some questions though:
>>
>> * why keep data and files separated, I see no good reason for this
>> except mimicking PHP's structure. An uploaded file comes from a named
>> input, I hope to find it in request.data (why do a common structure
>> otherwise). I might be missing something but nothing indicates a real
>> need for this in django/http/request.py
>

> True, there's some added complexity [small as it is] in forms because File
> fields need to look elsewhere for their values.
>

>> * isn't more or less any data sent to your backend representable as a
>> dict or object with dict access modes? I try to think about
>> occurrences where some data would not have a 'name'.
>>

> I frequently send JSON lists of data to my APIs...
Ok, was a bit short sighted on this one, still thinking in terms of
form bound data, it was a long day here in Shanghai. I suppose that
the kind of python object you receive is not so important as you
should do data validation anyway. Your earlier concern about checking
for different content-types doesn't apply to the solution I have in
mind as to whatever data representation you have at the beginning, you
should get a very similar object after decoding. What I mean is if you
send the *same* data through Yaml or JSON, the object in request.data
should be the same or extremely close. I say extremely close because
I'm thinking about xml that is always way more verbose than the others
and *might* add more data to the resulting object. (hint: I don't like
XML, don't need it in what I do and last used it ~8/9 years ago in a
disastrous explosion of SOAP and unix/microsoft interfaces)

Stefan
--
http://www.bonz.org/