On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Marc Tamlyn <marc.tam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure either way on this one. I don't want people to get carries
> away with Meta, it's not a dumping ground for any old thing you like. That
> said, for a developer of a third party library which extends the ORM, the
> inability to extend Meta is very problematic.
>
> I think a balance could be found where strict validation is retained, but
> third party apps can add to that validation. The difficulty is the API - if
> would be good if it could be done on a per model basis rather than a
> global. This should be explicit on behalf of the end user. I'm not sure how
> this would work though.

On the basis that this discussion is happening at all, I've just closed
#21081 as a duplicate of a newly-reopened #5793.

I share James' reservations about this as a feature -- attaching flags to
Meta is something I can see being abused in all sorts of ways -- but that
doesn't mean there's no legitimate uses for extensions to Meta. For
example, the USERNAME_FIELD added in support of custom users should,
arguably, be a Meta option -- but there was no way we could add that
without making a Meta option available to every class.

So - I think custom Meta options are something that should be *possible*. I
don't have any particular ideas for how it should be implemented, though.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)