I was working at system check framework [1] during this holiday. I've done
some changes that will solve all problems considered in this thread.

Maybe I'm a careless kind of guy, but when I test out new versions of
> Django, reading all of the release notes is rarely the first thing that
> I do... my bad. :) My first action is usually firing up the test suites
> and looking at the number of failed tests and deprecation warnings.

As we all know, Django-1.6 is special in this regard, since it doesn't
> run all the tests that the previous version would've discovered. Since
> it doesn't raise any deprecation warnings, it becomes really easy to
> assume that everything is fine and that the project is Django-1.6 ready,
> when in fact it is completely broken.

The first change is that when you run tests, all checks are performed, so
you
don't have to know that there is new check command in order to be notified
about the test runner issue.

The second problem is disabling the warning. The warning is issued when
TEST_RUNNER is not defined in settings.py file. If you set it, there is no
warning even if the new value is DiscoverRunner (the default one). So the
warning can be silenced by setting TEST_RUNNER. And there is new
SILENCED_SYSTEM_CHECKS setting so there is another way to disable the
warning.

I guess that my branch will be merged with 1.7 version and we cannot do much
with 1.6 release.

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/django-developers/_sde4eoNRyQ

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/7b19b6af-a972-47e5-b6da-af18f5a319d3%40googlegroups.com.