I'm interested in tackling
ticket#14030<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/14030>,
ideally before the Jan 20th cutoff, but I'm looking for some guidance.
There have been a lot of references to Anssi Kääriäinen attempting an ORM
refactor before trying to fix aggregates, but I'm not sure if this is still
a goal or not.

The work done by nateb at https://github.com/django/django/pull/46 was very
similar to the structure I believed would be the right way forward -
refactoring Aggregates to inherit from ExpressionNode. Unfortunately, the
patch submitted has been closed because it no longer applies cleanly. There
was also discussion regarding type coercion and a lack of real world tests
that should be considered.

What I'd like to do is attempt to rewrite the above PR so that it applies
cleanly. The reviews that had already happened on that patch would then
mostly apply to the rewrite, eliminating the need for a start to finish
review of the concept in general. Is this something that I should go
through with, or are we better off waiting for the ORM refactor then
reevaluating the way forward?

Regards,

Josh

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/600ab641-0eac-4c82-b5fd-544ff0240025%40googlegroups.com.