On 01/19/2014 07:08 AM, Aymeric Augustin wrote:
> On 19 janv. 2014, at 13:46, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com
> <mailto:russ...@keith-magee.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 5:48 PM, Aymeric Augustin
>> <aymeric.augus...@polytechnique.org
>> <mailto:aymeric.augus...@polytechnique.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Also there might be good reasons for not using an AppConfig.
>>
>> I'd be interested in hearing what these are.
>
> For instance, if you’re using a custom AdminSite, you may want the
> admin’s auto-discovery not to kick in. Honestly, it’s a theoretical
> argument, I’m not sure it really matters in practice.

I have several times opted out of admin.autodiscover() in favor of
manual registration of models to multiple different custom admin sites.
Honestly admin.autodiscover() and the usual way of doing admin
registration as an import-time side effect of app/admin.py is ugly,
although admittedly convenient for the common case. I very much hope
that moving the admin autodiscovery to the admin AppConfig still allows
some reasonable path to opt-out of autodiscover - perhaps by subclassing
the admin AppConfig?

This is probably all a tangent to this discussion, though - if "subclass
the AppConfig and override something" works to opt out of autodiscover,
then I still wouldn't see this as a "good reason for not using an
AppConfig."

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/52DD5EAC.6080903%40oddbird.net.