Hi Akshay,

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Akshay Jaggi <akshay1994....@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello!
> I was planning to work on improving the Test-Suite for GSOC 2014.
> I would need some help in formalising and improving my proposal, so that
> it meets the requirements.

Great to hear! Here's some feedback:

> One of the improvements I see is classification of test cases. Classifying
> them into categories (read multiple-categories), would make it easier for
> users/developers/maintainers to run them. Basis of classification,etc is
> what I am still thinking on. But surely classification will help in
> deciding which all test cases to run. For example - just running
> third-party app test cases, or just run my test cases, or those which check
> part ABC of my project, or just those with priority set to important.
>
> How to run tests? Here we have a few choices.
> -> Allowing the ability to decide and run test cases from the admin
> interface. (Will people like it? Choosing what tests to run will become
> easy for sure. This will require the server to be up though. Will this be
> problematic?)

This doesn't sound like a very viable idea to me. This is something that
needs to be persisted in code; a web server interface to manage this
doesn't strike me as a good idea. Unless you've got a particularly inspired
way for handling this, I don't think this will work.

> -> Sticking with and improving the current way. Specify what all tests to
> be run. (Do I want to add to this, every time I put new apps/add test
> cases? Or delete from this?)
> Specify default settings per app? App developer can decide if he wants the
> tests to be included or excluded by default. Helpful, if say, app (or
> certain components of the app) not dependent on other things, say DB,etc.
> and it has been tested many times before, then there is no need to run
> those tests by default.
> -> Having both of the above. ( Coherence between both of these? )

I would envisage that this would be a declarative process - in code,
marking a specific test as a "system" test or an "integration" test (or
whatever other categories we develop).

> I'm still brain-storming on other possible improvements we can do. And I
> am going through tickets to see current problems with testing.
>
> I'm willing to hear your opinions and comments.

My other comment: have a look into how other systems handle this. In
particular, look at other test running tools, like nose and py.test. Where
at all possible, I would prefer to avoid reinventing the wheel; if we can
leverage the tools of an existing testing framework, then we should do that
in preference to building our own.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAJxq84-ZFoS4xTp42Xv5QDX1m6Vyq%2BvAzm_XSRuGVty7h38itQ%40mail.gmail.com.