Hello Navneet,

On Monday 17 February 2014 17:49:36 NAVNEET SUMAN wrote:
> I would like to work on the Improving the less popular backends supported
> by django for this GSOC . What are the various backend u would like to see
> in django/ or what are the issues related with less popular backends

The idea presented in the GSOC page[1] refers to backends both in and out of
Django; it mentions some of the deep problems of the Oracle backend (which is
in core), and refers you to a list of open tickets.

If you want to include other (that is, non-core) backends in your proposal,
you should probably mail their respective maintainers or communities. The
Django project will support work to improve a third-party backend, but you
will need to secure also the support (and probably co-mentorship) of the third
party.

With respect to more details -- like Russell said[2], part of the GSoC
"audition" process is for you to do some analysis yourself; take the initial
pointers and come up with a concrete workplan.

Josh Smeaton wrote:
> The contrib.gis app and the GIS backends definitely need some loving.

Actually, between the custom-lookup and -transform work (led by Anssi) that
landed in master recently, and Marc's Postgres project[3], I expect quite a
lot of changes in the GIS backends in the near future; I think, therefore,
that now is not a good time to create a detailed plan of work in that area.

My 2 cents,
        Shai.

[1]
https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2014#Improvingthelesspopulardatabasebackends