On Friday, February 28, 2014 12:55:31 PM UTC+10:30, waylan wrote:

> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:50:38 PM UTC-5, Camilo Torres wrote:
>>
>> normalize_email will indeed allow both us...@example.com and
>> us...@example.com to be different entities. From the user perspective,
>> this is an error. Most probably the user enters some day their email in all
>> upper case because he pressed the CapsLock key, or copy pasted a transcript
>> of his email, etc., the user could not be able to figure out the difference
>> and simply could not log in.

[snip]

> The point is that the user will inadvertently type
> u...@example.com<javascript:> on
> their mobile device after registering with us...@example.com <javascript:> on
> their desktop/laptop. And they won't understand why they can't log in if it
> is case sensitive. Given that both addresses will deliver email to the same
> email account, it seems to me that both should be valid for the same
> account as an email based username on a sign-in form.

But there's the rub. Whilst for _most_ email servers, this will indeed send
mail to the same account, there's nowhere that says this _must_ happen.

Relevant:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9807909/are-email-addresses-case-sensitive

Matt.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/ab6fb338-252e-42f5-a83f-fd414d49432c%40googlegroups.com.