On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Jon Dufresne <jon.dufre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Aymeric Augustin
> <aymeric.augus...@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>> Furthermore, there are two reasons why I'm against making this change
>> in Django:
>> - it's a large backwards incompatibility;
>> - it deviates from Python's behavior in a surprising and unexpected way.
>
> Both these concerns could be solved with a setting to turn this
> feature on and be off by default.
>
> What I find surprising is setting a DATE_FORMAT in settings.py has
> little effect on how many dates are formatted.

I went back and re-read the documentation on this setting (emphasis mine):

---
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/settings/#date-format>

**The default formatting to use for displaying date fields in any part
of the system.** Note that if USE_L10N is set to True, then the
locale-dictated format has higher precedence and will be applied
instead. See allowed date format strings.
---

>From my experience this does not seem to be the case. As best I can
tell, it is only the default formatting to use for displaying dates in
templates. When dates are displayed through other means (such as
string formatting), this format sepcification is ignored. This is what
I find confusing and what I hope I could fix.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CADhq2b6V%3DRLm-i6O9U8XUcUh%2BRgdQbZ4ccUNy7JT5LAD3wdymw%40mail.gmail.com.