> we can't promote adding random strings to MIGRATION_MODULES as the
> suggested way to "get around" migrations for tests.

I agree, my workaround is a hack. It would be better to introduce a flag or
setting designed specifically for this use case.

> In my opinion, the whole point of migrations is that you know you have the
> same schema everywhere, and it's especially important you use them during
> tests.

If you view tests as a verification tool that is used before deployment or
committing to check that the system is working as desired then yes, this is
true. If you're practicing TDD, then tests are something else too - they're
a development environment. They're the primary way of interacting with your
code. Add a field, run tests. Rename it, run tests. Change its options, run
tests.

The fact is, Django 1.6 and South supported this use case very well, Django
1.7 does not.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/ac7d9f74-691f-4ec8-8900-434f8e0a93ff%40googlegroups.com.