On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] <
cal.leem...@simplicitymedialtd.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Russell Keith-Magee <
> russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM, Florian Apolloner <f.apollo...@gmail.com
>> > wrote:

>>> Well, we don't have BDFLs anymore and Shai already said he is -0 on it,
>>> count me in with a relatively strong -0 too. I'd be a bit more open to it
>>> if you could a better name. That said I generally agree with Shai about the
>>> validation, eg this should be handled by the database constraints already
>>> -- otherwise selecting via get doesn't make much sense imo.
>>>

>> Count me as a -0 as well. I simply don't see the problem with catching
>> exceptions. Changing the name doesn't modify my objections.
>>

> Then why did first() [1] get added? The only difference is that first()
> adds a reference to [0], but it still saves the equal amount of code and is
> still there for the same reasons of convenience, no?

first() was primarily added as an analog for latest().

Personally, I see a significant difference between first()/latest() and
get_or_none().

first()/latest() is a specific, common query that has been optimized: list
all, order by X, give me the first one.

get_or_none() is a second version of an existing query: get(), but with a
different return value. To me, this is duplication of an API, not a
different query.

In my ideal world, the get(default=None) approach would be what we would
do; but, as others have pointed out, default is a valid column name, so
this option isn't available to us. We already have a shortcut for
get_object_or_404; a matching get_object_or_none makes sense to me, and
puts the API where it make sense to me - as a shortcut for someone who is
repeating the "catch DoesNotExist" pattern regularly and wants an easier
way.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAJxq84_281FRq4eJ6mxjBfWREi_50naTg%2B6mcvLBKSozeQwjYw%40mail.gmail.com.