Yes, --update is very risky if you run it on migrations that are already
committed and pushed, but the main reason I left it out of 1.7 was
complexity (because makemigrations is now much more intelligent, updating
and adding a foreignkey into a migration might introduce a new dependency
or force a new migration anyway). Given that we have the ability to safely
squash large numbers of small migrations down into one with
squashmigrations and distribute that to fix the many-small-migrations
problem, I considered it pretty low priority, though I have a rough idea of
how I could make it work (I'd have to load up the autodetector with the
existing migrations already loaded in as a halfway state and then run it
from there, which should produce the right result).

Anyway, if you're retracting your original request, I'm happy to leave this
for the 1.7 release; I don't think there's a good solution that Django core
can implement effectively. This reminds me of when people used to ask me to
automatically stop their developers writing conflicting migrations - the
solution varies from company to company and often isn't technical but just
education or communication.

Andrew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1upQUB9yAUCs5d__U4BNWj38o4qB-caWg7MCNjFa_39x8w%40mail.gmail.com.