Single Table Inheritance is used by ruby-on-rails and SQLAlchemy.

Are there reasons why it is used in django?

I would love to see a polymorphic inheritance solution in django.

I know that there are third party apps which provide this, but
something like this should be in the core.

There was some discussion about this [1]. One reason against it was,
that supporting not-null is not available. But a db constraint which
checks the type and data column could solve this.

What do you think?

  Thomas Güttler

[1]
https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/ModelInheritance#a1.ModelingparentrelationsinSQL