If formtools were to be pulled out and released separately, would that
theoretically mean that releases could come more frequently than django
core (provided there was community interest and maintenance)? I think that
would be a decent carrot for community members that rely on its
functionality.

Regards,

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/386bad7b-14e8-4e3a-ae44-94f3c8975f54%40googlegroups.com.