Hi all,

I've just done some testing of 1.7 against my 'day job' code base. The good
news is that everything has pretty much worked out of the box without any
problems.

However, I did find one regression, which I've opened as #22915 [1]. Full
details are on the ticket; the short version is that the API for
Validation.update_error_dict() has changed in very subtle way. The change
was introduced by [2], which introduced Form.add_error() [3].

The catch here is that ValidationError is definitely stable API, but
update_error_dict isn't documented - so it isn't clear to me whether this
should be considered a regression in a stable API that must be fixed, or a
"backwards compatibility gotcha" that is worth some documentation, but not
a code change.

I caught the problem running the test suite for my "day job app". I'm doing
some moderately complex form error handling, and in the `clean()` method
for a form, I'm raising an error against a specific field on the field.
This appears to be the exact use case that the `Form.add_error()` API is
designed to satisfy, so the regression has been introduced by adding a
formal API for something that people (including myself) would have been
doing previously in an ad-hoc fashion.

The question here is whether we need to continue to support the ad-hoc
usage in a backwards compatible way.

Thoughts?

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)