It seems the biggest worry right now is how 3rd party backends and users
can alter the generated query string per backend. The current way is the
same used for Lookups and Transforms, and those are in 1.7. So, I don't
think we need to invent some other way for expressions. And, as Michael
Manfre said 3rd party backends can do this in custom SQLCompiler. Adding an
official hook instead of overriding SQLCompiler per backend should likely
be done (see
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-developers/HggiPzwkono/lP0qygZv_lQJ).

As for private API changes, there have been no complaints. I take this as a
sign that we can proceed with the planned changes. Past experience tells me
that when we get to alpha and beta stage for 1.8 we will get complaints
about the breakage. When those are reported we can check if there are some
common patterns we want to support or at least offer an easy upgrade path.

I wonder if we need to have a DEP for this? If not, any other
objections/questions/comments?

 - Anssi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/5cf31cff-96f7-4067-8ee1-850deed14772%40googlegroups.com.