Jannis commented on the ticket, "This is simple, don't add a global setting
but a parameter to the staticfiles app config. That's where such things
belong now."

This makes sense to me. I suppose we should look into whether it makes
sense to move at least some of the other static files settings there as
well. Aymeric, is there any particular process that you envisioned for apps
to add arbitrary config options like this (besides the obvious way of class
attributes; and sorry if I've missed any existing docs about this).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/44fbb093-1337-45e9-9445-3a8340454d12%40googlegroups.com.