On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 1:12 AM, Florian Apolloner <f.apollo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To me this is no shortfall but expected and good behaviour, including other
> fields in the validation (i.e. fields not on the form) would be very
> confusing. Where would errors show up?

Right now unique violations show up as non-field errors on the forms
with duplicate values. So I my proposal would do the same.

> Also, even if we find a place to show
> the errors, the user is (usually) in no position to correct them (after all,
> there is no field he could change to fix it).

I don't follow. In my specific example the user is able to change the
"name" field. In my opinion, the form should fail to validate because
the _user_ entered "newname" twice, for two different names when they
should be unique. The user is in the position to 1) make these
conflict and 2) correct them.

> I think in your case you
> should call model.full_clean() after form validation and handle any unique
> errors thereā€¦

I will certainly experiment with this thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CADhq2b7_LiNG6LnikpMWwJew_kQZ3J9Hd5%3DsT4sp9Y_m-cd4GA%40mail.gmail.com.