What no one is discussing here is is that django-registration is just one
out of several popular authentication backends that match it for use and
great exceed it's functionality. They include:

* django-allauth
* django-userena
* python-social-auth (nee django-social-auth)

These three projects are extremely well maintained (huge communities of
supporters), support dozens of OAuth implementations, and are the modern
cornerstone of current Django registration. Bugs are fixed quickly, updates
for OAuth providers come frequently, and **just plain work without
forking**.

django-allauth in particular not only easily mirrors django-registration
core functiomality, it has a safer logout mechanism.

Why do I bring this up? Well, if Django is going to have a built-in
registration system, then I think it should benefit from having more eyes
on the problem. While James Bennett is an awesome coder whose work has been
a foundation of my own, his solitary effort
(https://www.djangopackages.com/packages/p/django-registration/ shows only
one committer) simply doesn't compare to the legions of people who have
contributed to these other packages. Therefore, I submit that if a
registration package will be brought into django.contrib, it should be one
of these alternatives.

That said, I don't like the idea of adding more functionality to Django,
even within django.contrib. IMO, a better alternative would be to suggest
registration packages in the documentation of django.contrib.auth.

--Daniel Greenfeld

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/f5813b1d-529a-45b2-b14a-b4a78cf99757%40googlegroups.com.