Hi All,

The current Options implementation has properties for "concrete fields".
Technically speaking, concrete fields are data fields without a column. The
only concrete field in the codebase is ForeignObject. There are 2 classes
that inherit from ForeignObject: GenericRelation and ForeignKey, but each
of them fall into different categories (virtual and data). The only
instances of a ForeignObject in the codebase are in the unit tests, and
those occurrences can be replaced with a ForeignKey (not tested).
So, my question is:

- Do we really need concrete fields, if ForeignObject is internal and not
used in any place other than unit tests?
- Are there third-party packages that inherit from ForeignObject? if yes,
can anyone point which ones?

Perhaps akaariai and loic84 can help, as I know they have done work in this
area.

As we are formalising the Options API
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/django-developers/XfMUjK59Sls) it
would be great to reduce complexity even more by removing the entire term
"concrete fields".

Thanks,
Daniel Pyrathon

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/c797b8ea-c7dd-44ea-9b3c-3d6aa5df5ddf%40googlegroups.com.