In fact, there is an accepted
ticket: https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/16860

It may be better to try out the "AppConfig setting" route as discussed
in https://groups.google.com/d/topic/django-developers/qnnCLppwA3o/discussion
rather than adding a new top level setting.

Perhaps you can try to address some of the questions posed in that ticket
as well.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/f38beb0b-b38b-4126-a65a-dbc060d27c67%40googlegroups.com.